Saturday, August 9, 2008

Why Sally Picks the Movies


We are both readers and have been forever. Sally reads the good stuff: best sellers of the highest grade. And fast; boy, does she cruise. She's on Ahab's Wife right now having just finished The Shack by William P. Young. We need more bookcases to hold the bursting collection of her voracious habit. Possibly a lending library for Lake Shastina, even.

I on the other hand am presently working my way through A Team Of Rivals, the amazing story of President Lincoln's cabinet. It weighs about four pounds and is written by a woman so expert on Lincoln that she won the Pulitzer Prize. My sweet daughter Ami who lives in Seattle knows I enjoy history and she thinks that by association, I must be intellectual. This is a marvelous thing for her to believe and I have worked hard to not let her think she is mistaken so I read the tome every chance I get and try to look intellectual while doing so.

But it goes far beyond these two books. Sally is the intellectual, not me. She picks absolutely wonderful authors, with complex and compelling characters who weave world-class plots. She spotted Kite Runner for the wonder that it was and by her enthusiasm, compelled me to enjoy it too. Then came Three Cups of Tea. And there are dozens before.

One reason this happens is because I like to read some books twice. Three times, even if it is really good. So rather than go out and WORK at deciding if a book is good enough to buy I'll just fall back on Aztec or The Travels of Jamie McPheeters or any number of WW II submarine or airplane stories that "clutter" (not my word) our shelves.

Anyhow, this is a long way around saying why Sally picks our Netflix movies. For a while I dabbled at it and we enjoyed Alien vs Predator, Batman, and a couple of others that Sally was just too busy to watch with me. So she got good at reading the reviews and ratings (which never bothered me a bit) and it's way better. The next one is Veronica Guerin for example and Tommy Lee Jones in The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada was just fantastic.

You see what I mean. I voted for Beowolf.

No comments: